Know in detail about military time chart
Military Time Chart is one of the most commonly used charts, but it is also one that many people are unfamiliar with.
Military time is a method of expressing time that uses 24 hours rather than 12 hours. Furthermore, it’s a colloquial term for the 24-hour clock. Meanwhile, it is commonly used to distinguish between the hours of A.M. and P.M. Instead of utilizing two groups of 12 hours each, and a printable military chart is used to measure time using a 24-hour clock.
With our military time converter, you can quickly determine what time it is in military time. Moreover, it is also known as an army time converter. A military time conversion chart can not only convert military time to standard time and vice versa, but you can also see what time it is right now in military time.
Instead, the military operates on a 24-hour clock. Rather than using a.m. or p.m. to show the time of day, an entire 24-hour clock is used to represent the time.
The 24 hours on a clock are divided into hundreds of parts when referring to military time. Before double digits, there is a zero, which is pronounced as an “O.” In military time, 5:00 a.m. is 0500, which you would write as “O Four Hundred.” The number is followed by the word “hundred” for double digits, such as “Thirteen Hundred.”
We also have a complete military time chart and a military time minutes chart for you visual learners. Don’t worry if you have trouble reading military time. In this article, you will know every detail of the military time conversion chart.
Purpose of the chart
The printed version of the military time conversion chart, on the other hand, is considerably easier to use. Some of the chart’s most essential goals are listed below.
- In most nations, computers display the time in 24 hrs format. The separator is not used in military applications.
- Helpful for military personnel to describe time.
- It’s helpful in various industries, including airplanes, public transportation, and the military.
- It is the world’s most widely used frequency symbol.
How to Tell Time in the Military?
The day begins at midnight. Notably, the day starts at 00.00. The final minute of the day is written as 23:59. So, the military time starts at 00.00 and ends at 23:59. You all might question whether the start is written as 24:00. However, 24:00 is not used.
There are several differences between a regular military clock and a standard clock. A timetable displaying 4:00 pm to 12:00 midnight would be an example of using the 12-hour clock. In military time 13:00 – 24:00 is mainly used in military time. Another example of the difference between the two is 11:35 am is written as 11:35 am in military time, whereas 3:30 pm is written as 15:30.
The military, government, public transit, hospitals, meteorologists, astronomers, individuals working in emergency services, and computers all use this time technique.
Why do the military operations on a 24-hour clock?
One of the advantages of the military’s 24-hour schedule is that it reduces confusion. There is minor inaccuracy because everything functions on a 24-hour time scale rather than a.m. and p.m. time stamps. When military personnel discusses times and dates across time zones, this becomes even more critical.
Furthermore, the 24-hour system’s condensed format makes it easier to deliver brief communications. When it comes to military drills and important missions, the 24-hour system’s efficiency and accuracy can mean the difference between life and death.
The military uses Greenwich Mean Time to avoid confusion when discussing times and dates across time zones. Greenwich Mean Time, which is commonly known as GMT, is a 24-hour clock based on the earth’s prime meridian, located near Greenwich, England. It allows military personnel to talk about a given moment in the same time zone.
|12-hour am-pm clock||24-hour military time|
How to use MILITARY TIME CONVERSION CHART?
Here are several ways of using a military time chart.
- Printable military time chart: The printable chart is a well-known help for studying military clocks. Military time conversion is made easier for readers with a graphic. We hope that you will find it easier to learn military time by printing this military time chart. You can find the printable army time chart from the button below:
- Printable military time chart PDF: One can also get the printable format of the 24-hour clock in pdf versions. This version is easier to download and easier to understand if you have any problem getting used to the chart.
- Military conversion chart worksheet: These sheets are divided into three portions. Converting am and pm times into 24 clock times is the first set of papers. The second set of sheets also includes translating 24-hour clock times to 12-hour standard time. The final stage of sheets entails converting between 12 and 24 hour times and the reverse. Beginners and children will benefit from this chart.
These papers will assist your child in:
- at 5-minute intervals, precisely read from an analog
- For 5 minute intervals, draw the clock hands in the proper position.
- 12-hour standard time to 24 hour clock time conversion
- 12-hour average time is converted from 24 hour clock time.
How to convert 12-hour civilian time into a 24-hour clock?
Here are a few ways to convert 12-hour civilian time into a 24-hour clock:
- In civilian time, we delete the colon and write it as a single figure in military time. In military jargon, 10:25 a.m. becomes 1025 a.m.
- In civilian and military time, the hours from 1 a.m. to 12 p.m. are the same. Keep in mind that you must include zero for all hours under ten in military time. As a result, 9 a.m. becomes 0900 a.m.
- To acquire military time, add 1200 to the hours between 1 and 11 p.m. In military time, 7:30 p.m. becomes 1930 p.m.
- To convert from military to standard time, remove 1200, add a colon, and add a ‘pm’ for any military time of 1300 or higher. As a result, 1745 becomes 5:45 p.m.
- In military time, midnight is referred to as both 2400 and 0000.
BenEfits of Military Time Chart
As a military time chart is pretty uncommon keeping track of military time can be difficult at first. However, once you’ve gotten used to it, the advantages of a printable military time chart are as follows.
- Avoids confusion between a.m and p.m: One of the biggest advantages of the military time chart is that it avoids the confusion between a.m and p.m. If you’re tired and setting your alarm clock, you can mistakenly set the time for pm instead of am, or vice versa. There would be a greater probability that you will miss any vital work. If you have military experience, you will be able to prevent such confusion. A 24-hour clock system also makes it easier to arrange activities. According to experts, the day goes from midnight to midnight and is divided into 24-hour chunks by a 24-hour clock. In most countries throughout the world, military time is chosen because it minimizes errors or confusion when referencing time. When using standard time, it is simple to say 3:00, but does this mean A.M. or P.M.? It is possible to confuse A.M. and P.M., but military time avoids these inaccuracies and assists persons in interpreting time.
- Time duration may be calculated directly: Using military time makes it easy to compute the length of time. For example, you must compute the hours from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Getting the duration is a difficult task. When stated in military time, such as 1130 and 1730, it’s easy to see that the length is six hours.
- Better time management: Every time we glance at our watches, we should be reminded that there are 24 hours in a day. If it’s 11 a.m. and you have a meeting at 5 p.m., you could think, “Well, that’s two more hours till noon, and then I’ve got four more hours to spare.” You may be tempted to relax for the next two hours before beginning to prepare for the meeting around midday. When using military time, on the other hand, you’ll know right away that you have 6 hours to get to the meeting and will schedule your work accordingly. It’s also useful to use a 24-hour clock system if you’re the type who prepares daily calendars that describe all of your activities for the day.
- You simply save a significant amount of time and paper: All of the time you’ve wasted saying or writing am/pm might have been avoided if you’d just utilized military time instead. Of course, the most significant reason to switch to military time is that you won’t have to deal with the unneeded embarrassment of mistaking am for pm or vice versa. Regardless of your taste, the world appears to be on the verge of switching to military time. As corporations grow more worldwide, they will be obliged to adopt a universal, international standard, which is the military’s method of indicating the time.
Drawbacks of Military Time Chart
Here are the drawbacks of the military time chart.
- Hard time understanding: The average person isn’t used to seeing a military timetable. Despite its advantages, there are drawbacks, such as people having difficulties understanding it. The military time chart’s only downside is this. The only disadvantage I can think of is that many people struggle to understand military time.
- Difficult to measure time in different formats: Another issue is that if the AM or PM is changed, the entire concept of what time of day is being represented will be incorrect. Furthermore, the twelve-hour format is quite useful for determining the time in various parts of the world (time zones). If you merely want to know what time it is, use a 12-hour clock, which is basic enough to do the job. Through online freelancing, some people work for foreign countries. As a result, the
12-hour clock will make it much easier for them to keep track of time in various forms.
How to convert noon and midnight into military time?
Not only on military time but also on the ordinary 12-hour clock, expressing noon and midnight might be confusing:
Use of midnight in the military time conversion chart: Midnight in military time may be described as 0000 and 2400.
However, 0000 is preferred, as it usually applies to the start of the new day (digital watches and clocks use 0000).
In some applications, both versions may be used: 0000 to notate midnight in military time when it is the start of the day or activity, but 2400 for activities or days ending. However, 0000 is generally used as compared to 2400.
Noon in a printable military time chart: Noon in military time is significantly more accessible because there is no uncertainty – it’s always 1200, which is 12:00. This is preferable to the 12-hour method, in which the abbreviations are derived from Latin: p.m. stands for post meridiem, which means afternoon, and a.m. stands for ante meridiem, which means before noon.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the countries that use printable military time charts?
Developed countries use the 24-hour clock system due to its significant advantages. Furthermore, the military, government, public transit, hospitals, meteorologists, astronomers, individuals working in emergency services, and computers all use this time technique. Countries that desire to develop their systems use the military time chart. Military time is currently used as the primary time format in some world areas, including the United Kingdom, Australia, and India, due to its simplicity and ease of comprehension. When recording a patient’s history, doctors prefer to use a 24-hour clock, stating that a discrepancy in time interpretation might significantly impact therapy. For example, if medical personnel misinterprets the recorded time as ‘A.M.’ rather than ‘P.M.’ and delivers medicine to a patient incorrectly, the result could be catastrophic. It also assists job holders to reach their job in time.
- Why is the colon not used in military times?
We use a colon to separate minutes from hours in the 24-hour clock format, so it appears like 16:30, 18:45, etc. However, we don’t need to use a colon to separate the numerals representing hours from the ones indicating minutes in military time.
- Who was the first to invent the 24-hour clock? On the other hand, the Egyptians were the first to employ the 24-hour clock. Moreover, their system arose from the length of time it took for specific constellations to travel through the sky, eventually creating a 360-day year. Temporal hours were used in those early days to keep track of time.
- What is the simplest way to learn how to tell the time in 24 hours? Remove “PM” from the hours between 1:00 and 11:59 p.m. and add 12 to the hours between 1:00 and 11:59 p.m. Add 12 to the 12-hour time to convert it to 24-hour time during the afternoon, evening, and night hours. Remove “PM” as well. That is, 3:55 p.m. would become 15:55 p.m., and 10:05 p.m. would become 22:05 p.m.
- What is the best way to convert military time to minutes? The subject of how to convert minutes in a military chart is frequently asked. Military minutes and decimal minutes are the same thing. Divide any amount of minutes by 60 to convert to decimal minutes. For example, divide 10 by 60 to get how many military (or decimal) minutes equals 10 ordinary clock minutes.
Military time conversion can help individuals comprehend things better and prevent getting confused. People have a habit of forgetting what time it is in the morning and evening. As a result, military time ensures everyone knows what time it is.
Furthermore, many industrialized countries use this strategy to save time and force people to be prompt.
The chart format of the military time chart will help beginners get used to and understand the military time conversion.
The military time conversion chart comes in a variety of formats. In addition, there is an excel version, a printable military time chart, and a military time conversion chart in the structure. Furthermore, these graphs allow you to comprehend the 24-hour clock system fully. Meanwhile, there are numerous distinctions between the 12 and 24-hour clocks. As a result, the printable format makes it simple to grasp the essential concept. Furthermore, if you encounter any difficulties, please get in touch with us.